- Album Title: TBD
- Release Date: Summer/Fall 2018
- Label: BMG
- Writing & Demoing Dates: Fall 2015 - May 2017
- Recording Dates: May 16, 2017 - May 2018
- Status: Finished recording and mixing in May 2018
- Singles: TBD; Avril says it may be one she wrote when on verge of death with Lyme disease; will be an emotional ballad; may release 2 songs at once; Travis Clark says a song he co-wrote will be lead
- Known Song Titles:
- "Lucky Ones"
- "It Was In Me"
- Expected Sound: Will showcase vocals; piano-driven; more lyrically complex, clever, and poetic; inspired by singer-songwriters like Ed Sheeran; more rock and punk; back to her roots (country, gospel, jazz); emotional ballads
- Expected Themes: Lyme disease, empowerment, divorce, love; more themes and topics than she's written about before; dramatic, raw, powerful, personal, intimate, an emotional journey
- Collaborators: J.R. Rotem, Zane Carney, Travis Clark, Lauren Christy, Bonnie McKee, Chad Kroeger, Dan Ellis, Dave Immerman
Avril Lavigne released her self-titled 5th album in November 2013. It had several delays, with Avril going back into the studio to record more radio friendly material. By the time she finally did finish recording it, she had a huge number of songs to choose from. It was a similar situation to the Goodbye Lullaby album, in which she also had plenty of leftover tracks. In both cases she said she had enough songs for two albums, and said she would love to release the remaining tracks soon. So far we haven't heard the Goodbye Lullaby leftovers ("Gone," "Candy," "Fine"), and the Avril Lavigne extras also remain to be heard.
Avril Lavigne ended up being half made up of some of Avril's more indie rock, introspective songs, and the other half was more radio friendly pop rock, similar to her earlier albums. Despite the pop songs on the first half of the record, Avril initially seemed to be heading in a new musical direction and had a full album worth of indie rock songs before going back into the studio. Fans would love to hear those songs, and Avril expressed interest in releasing them. Will those ever come out? Or will her 6th album be all new material?
In April 2015, Avril revealed she'd been battling Lyme disease for months. She was left bedridden, but that time gave her a chance to look at her career with a clear point of view. Avril made the negative positive, and out of her year-long illness she got a fresh perspective on what she wants to do with the rest of her career.
Avril says that besides a few singles ("Fly," released in support of the Special Olympics, and another song she wrote about her battle with Lyme disease), her next music projects will be a Christmas album and her sixth studio album. Avril has been writing and recording since fall 2015, with writers like her ex Chad Kroeger and Zane Carney.
In early 2017, Avril began sharing song lyric hints, suggesting that future songs may be titled "Warrior" or "Crush." On March 1st, she announced that she has signed with BMG. She is nearly done writing, and the next step is to find a producer. This album will go back to her country, jazz, and church roots and will tackle subjects beyond love and breakups. Avril promises to release the album in 2017. The first single will likely be a song she wrote about her Lyme disease. On May 16, 2017, Avril officially began production for the new album. J.R. Rotem has been producing for the album.
In January 2018, Avril describes the album as "next level," "an emotional journey," and the one she's worked the hardest on in her career. She also characterized it as being personal, dramatic, raw, intimate, powerful, strong, and unexpected. In April, Travis Clark of We The Kings talked about his collaborating with Avril on three of the new songs, one of which may be the lead single. That month, both he and Avril described the new music as powerful, piano-driven, showcasing her vocals, and being an album of strength. In May 2018, Avril finished recording the album. At this point, we expect to hear new music this summer or fall, with the album dropping by the end of 2018.