- Album Title: TBD
- Release Date: Late 2017 or 2018
- Label: Warner
- Recording Dates: December 2016-Present
- Status: Recording in the studio, have done drums and guitar so far; at least 3 songs recorded; at least 1 song ready to be released
- Lead Single: "Dig Down," out May 18, 2017
- Expected Sound: Acoustic and stripped back; hip-hop; an evolution and different from what they've done before
- Expected Themes: Politics, social issues
- Songwriters: Matthew Bellamy
In June 2015, Muse released their 7th studio album, Drones. The first song we heard was the aggressive "Psycho," followed by gentler singles "Dead Inside" and "Mercy" and a number of promo tracks. The album signaled a kind of return to their roots. Over the last two decades, Muse have pursued increasingly symphonic and electronic music, but Drones focused on simple guitar, bass, and drums. The songs were as energetic and rocking as ever, while the lyrics painted a concept centered on government control. Muse toured extensively, but soon they were already thinking about album #8.
Just months after Drones came out, drummer Dominic Howard said the band wanted to evolve and really lose their minds on the next album. In January 2016, he wasn't sure they'd even release a proper album, saying they may go the route of standalone singles or sets of tracks instead. By the end of the year, though, the band was describing their next album. Frontman Matthew Bellamy first said they might try to strip it back this time and make a more acoustic record. He later said he wanted to do a hip-hop album... possibly joking? They said the album would probably be ready in 2018, with a song or two in 2017 if we're lucky.
Muse started sharing studio pictures in December 2016 and January 2017. They continued to share rare sneak peeks through spring, and then Matt made an exciting announcement: New single coming soon! In early May, Muse shared a few videos of them filming a music video, also "coming soon." On May 11th, the announced that their single "Dig Down" will be out on May 18th! This is just two days before their tour with 30 Seconds To Mars kicks off.