- Album Title: Meaning Of Life
- Release Date: October 27, 2017
- Label: Atlantic Records
- Recording Dates: July 2016-June 2017
- Lead Single: "Love So Soft"
- Promo Single: "Move You"
- Confirmed Song Titles:
- "Didn't I?"
- "Go High"
- "I Don't Think About You"
- "Meaning Of Life"
- "Slow Dance"
- "Whole Lotta Woman"
- "Would You Call That Love"
- Other Known Titles:
- "It Matters To Me" (registered on BMI, spring 2017)
- Collaborators: Jason Halbert, Greg Kurstin, Ali Tamposi, Diztortion, J.R. Rotem, Claude Kelly, Monarch Production Duo, Sebastian Kole, and more
- Expected Sound: Soul pop, bluesy, '90s-inspired R&B, but contemporary; her best vocals, it's a singer's record; horns; 1-2 collaborations; "Boss," "sassy," "a grown-ass woman's record"
Ever since Kelly Clarkson released her 6th studio album, Piece By Piece, in March 2015, she's been excited about the next chapter. Piece By Piece was the final album in the RCA contact she'd had since 2002, and Kelly had longed for more creative freedom. In June 2016, Kelly announced her move to Atlantic Records and her plan to make a soulful album! The album was originally planned for a release in spring or summer 2017.
Kelly has had a few other projects on the side as well. She released her first children's book - River Rose And The Magical Lullaby - in October 2016 along with a recorded lullaby. She covered "It's Quiet Uptown" for Hamilton: The Mixtape, and recorded a new song with Aloe Blacc called "Love Goes On" for the movie The Shack. Kelly also appeared on a new Reba McEntire song along with Trisha Yearwood. She recorded the soundtrack song called "The Cry Inside" for a movie called The Secret Scripture. The movie premiered in Ireland early in 2017, though the rest of the world is waiting to see it. "The Cry Inside" leaked online in April, and an official release is expected soon.
Kelly spent most of 2016 and the first half of 2017 recording her upcoming 7th studio album. In addition to songs she co-wrote, Kelly also recorded songs written by everyone from Ali Tamposi to Diztortion. She finished recording in June.
On Sunday, September 3rd, Kelly started hyping up the album. It started with a teaser for her upcoming single, announced for a September 7th release. On Monday Kelly revealed the new single's title: "Love So Soft." On Wednesday the 6th, she announced a second song, "Move You." That day, Kelly conducted a YouTube Live Q&A. She officially announced that her new album, Meaning Of Life, will come out on October 27th! That night, she debuted four of its new songs in a live performance: "Didn't I?," "Heat," "Whole Lotta Woman," and "Meaning Of Life."
At 6am ET on Thursday, September 7th, "Love So Soft" and "Move You" came out. The "Love So Soft" music video was particularly stunning, and her best video in a decade.